6 New Holiday Traditions to Start This Year
Posted on 12/09/2013
The holidays are a time where we celebrate beloved traditions.
We bust out the cherished decorations, grab the same classic movies, begin playing our favorite holiday tunes, and celebrate another year of holiday traditions.
But what about those new traditions? After all, every tradition had to start some year, right? This holiday season, we think it’s time for something new. Call us crazy, but we’re looking to mix is up this year.
Here are a few ideas to get the ball rolling:
1. Have Santa leave your child an ornament under the tree each year. When they move out, they’ll have a collection of special ornaments to put on their tree and decorate their own homes with.
2. Make a cultural dish for your holiday meal. Consider food that you ate as a small child (or your grandparents ate) and enjoy it during this special season—we say food is one of the best traditions possible.
3. Have young kiddos? Consider starting “Elf on a Shelf.” Give it a Google to get a quick rundown of how it works (it involves elves “keeping an eye” on your kids for Santa’s naughty or nice list).
4. Each December, donate some gently used clothing (particularly warm winter wear) to a homeless shelter. It’s a great time to get a little tidier before the crazy holiday season picks up.
5. We know it’s nippy out, but find an outdoor winter activity to participate in with either your family or a group of friends. Be it ice skating, sledding, snowshoeing, skiing, or even sipping hot cocoa while on a beautiful walk in the snow.
6. Set aside a night to watch a holiday special. Charlie Brown anyone? Or how about Holiday Inn (a classic with lots of singing)? Go the whole nine yards—blankets, pajamas, popcorn, and something hot to drink.