Make Your Garden Grow this Month
Posted on 05/16/2016
It doesn’t matter if you’ve got a green thumb or if you’re just beginning to dip your toe in the soil. There has never been a better time to start growing your garden.
Summer is creeping just around the corner, but if you haven’t planted anything yet you’re not too late. After all, May is the perfect time to plant many things! Here are some ideas based on advice from Thompson and Morgan on what to plant in this month.
To make your garden grow, you’ve got to give the right type of love. Make sure you do specific research on each type of seed that you’re planting to figure out the proper care it should receive. Many types of flowers and vegetables require different types of care.
Plus, did you know that you can crunch up eggshells to provide extra nutrients for your plants? Go ahead and show off THAT tip to your gardener friends. If you’re planting something in a flowerpot, make sure to rotate your pots so that the sunlight is evenly distributed.
- Add some brightness to your garden by planting sunflowers outside. Be warned—sunflowers can take on a mind of their own, but they’re beautiful when they sprout.
- Candytuft sounds edible, but really it’s a flower that comes in different shades and is best looked at, not consumed. Now is the perfect time to plant candytuft around your garden.
- Poppies are for much more than making awesome muffins (maybe that’s just the seeds). Instead, plant some poppy seeds and get ready for some bright red colors to fill up your garden.
- Broccoli, carrots and spinach are all great in a salad, and they’ll be great to plant in May. Get on it and you’ll have a fresh salad from your own backyard.
- If you use your melon (AKA your brain), you’ll know that now’s the perfect time to plant some melons. Or, at least now you know. Be careful—you’ll need to look up more specific instruction to make sure they get the proper care they need.
There you have it—you’ll have beautiful flowers to gaze upon and fresh vegetables to eat. But if all else fails, you can pack up the car and head to your favorite restaurant. They’re professionals when it comes to preparing the vegetables.